Venetian Red, named after the area where it was once mined near Venice, is a traditional brick-red earth that has been beloved by landscape and figure painting artists for centuries. Venetian Red is semi-opaque in masstone yet dilutes smoothly, mixes easily, and often displays a soft granulation. From Renaissance-style robes and lips to red rock cliffs and canyons, Venetian Red’s extensive uses make it easy to see why this color has withstood the test of time.
For a complete 3-color palette using Venetian Red, see Da Vinci's Warm Up Trio watercolor painting set.
Da Vinci Artist Watercolors are available in 8mL, 15mL, and 37mL tube sizes. We also offer artists a unique and broad selection of professional watercolor sets in hand-filled pans or tubes along with various artist-grade watercolor painting mediums.
- Excellent fade-resistance (Lightfastness I)
- Made with Pigment Red 101 (PR101) dispersed in the finest quality natural gum
- High concentration of premium pigment is finely milled for maximum vibrancy
- Semi-opaque and staining with some granulation
- Amazing rewetting properties. Use Da Vinci Watercolors straight from the tube or fill your own watercolor pans and rewet.
- Made in USA with craftsmanship quality